Friday, June 19, 2009

ITLOG, MA-LING, SINANGAG, ATBP. (Reflections on my birthday)

Some of my friends made my day! I don't usually take breakfast at our refectory. I just have crackers and a glass of juice in my room. So, after morning prayers. I started to go through this usual routine. As I was preparing to eat, I heard some knocks at my door. Lo and behold - and to my surprise - I saw them standing at my door, singing a "happy birthday" song, and with one of them (a Korean priest) holding a tray of food...Wow! Pritong itlog, apat na pirasong Ma-Ling (o Spam?) at mainit-init na sinangag (fried eggs, some pieces of meat and fried garlic rice). Truly, it is my birthday! And they did that to celebrate with me!





The rest of the day was equally an experience of many blessings. I was greeted with wide smiles and endless greetings of "tanti auguri" left and right (mind you, it was not that my companions never smiled before, but there was the feeling that all the more were they making me feel loved and cared for!). At the mass which I celebrated with two other Filipino priests and three seminarians (1 Filipino and 2 Polish), I felt a big joy of having reached another year. I could only utter simple words of thanks to God whose love has been wonderfully and concretely manifested to me in so many ways!



Then I began to receive more -- greeting cards from my mother, the rest of my family and friends. Checking on my email, I was overwhelmed by the countless messages sent to me, both simple greetings and words of deep affection...

I told myself that this special day of mine would also be celebrated through efforts of giving myself to others. As I worked in the cleaning of our house, I remembered to thank God for the gift of life that was shared to me through my parents. I also began to remember the people who journeyed with me. Yes, each one of them are manifestations of the blessing of life given to me. I could not thank God enough for their presence in my life. I just hope I have become a gift to each one!

If my "birthday breakfast" started with one of those "Jollibee-like" menu, I tried to end it in a style any Filipino would like (especially if this Filipino misses his country deeply). Together with my Filipino companions, we prepared "pansit bihon" (chinese pasta) and "sinigang na isda" (fish-tamarind broth). This was surely a hit among my companions, especially those from Korea, Brazil and Portugal! The food trip had a "sossy" (high class) touch on it! As we had difficulty finding the equivalent ingredients in it, we had to replace it with what we had here. Imagine, for our "pansit" we put in turkey as its meat content, and for the "sinigang" we had baby shark meat! Beat that!

What went on during the meal was a complete surprise for me! Other Filipinos dropped by to greet me (they also brought along with them gifts of stuff toys, wine, cake and ice cream). The other Filipinos who could not come surprised me with a phone call from their house and greeted me with exhilarating songs. A short but family-like program of songs, dances and games were experienced by all! Included also was the thrill of being serenaded the "Happy Birthday" song in around 10 languages!

At the end of the day, in the stillness of my room, I could only say simple words of "thank you, Jesus, for You have given me so much!" God truly made Himself present...yes, and I was very happy -- I am in joy!

"Pritong itlog, Ma-Ling at sinangag" to start my birthday celebration with! Ah, it was not simply about that Filipino breakfast food that made my day. The food perhaps became a symbol (an excuse, even!) of what God wants me to have a fill of -- it was that gift of people, time and experiences coming as a donation from Him as I celebrated LIFE!

Grazie a Dio! Salamat sa Diyos! Thanks to God!

(This was a blog published last 2 April 2009 in my Multiply site as a personal reflecton on my past birthday celebration.)

No comments:

Post a Comment